- Health Care
Experienced in health care law, insurance and compliance issues as they relate to dental practices and health care providers.
- Business Formation
We assist start ups with preparing to do business. From entity selection to tax considerations, we will walk you through each step of the decision process to make sure you are covered.
- Practice Transitions
Whether you are a buyer or seller, early planning is essential in the sale or purchase of a practice. By taking a team approach, we work to make the transition smooth and to maximize our value to you.
- Real Estate
Whether you lease or own, protecting your real estate interests is paramount to your success. We assist in those related considerations from negotiations and until closing.
- We will listen to your needs, identify your goals, and set a timeline. We can meet initially by phone, in person, or by video conference.
- We will execute on our deliverables, ask questions, and prepare drafts of any documents for your review.
- We will respond and provide documents to you in a timely basis to meet your objectives. We understand that time is of the essence in your practice transition.
- We will work collaboratively with your team, including your practice advisor, real estate professionals and opposing counsel to accomplish your business objectives.
- You will have access to your attorney’s cell phone, and we encourage accessible communication with our clients.
- We provide clients with an estimate of fees, estimated completion timeline, and a list of deliverables. Please contact us for a fee estimate and courtesy consultation.
There are many legal and non-legal considerations when starting a practice. Whether that is early or later in your career, we assist with all aspects of the related legal considerations. This typically includes, at a minimum, entity selection, tax elections, partnership or membership agreements, and employment considerations for staffing. In addition, we act as a resource for you, where needed, to connect you with other specialized professionals within dental, including insurance providers, lenders, real estate specialists, and dental equipment and supply companies as may be necessary to ensure a successful start.
Nearly every dentist will reach a point in their career when they consider or need to complete a practice sale or purchase. If you are starting a practice, we look forward to working with you as you grow your business. If you are selling your practice, we want to ensure a smooth exit. We have a depth of experience in asset and stock/membership interest sale and purchase transactions. Of key importance is to ensure that the business terms are fair and supportable as well as protecting your respective legal risks. We take a balanced approach and work to efficiently and proactively move your transaction to a closing.
Every practice has real estate to manage. We seek to not only protect dentists contractually but also ensure that the business terms of the transaction are fair and reasonable in the market. In many cases, this means addressing minutia that, at first glance may not seem relevant, but can save thousands of dollars at a closing, in the event of a dispute, or over the life of a lease. We actively strive to continually evaluate our client’s real estate needs and future plans and collaboratively plan to ensure negotiations target those goals.
From associate agreements and non-competes to employee handbooks, we work with practices to ensure their staffing decisions and protocols remain up to date and are structured to protect the practice.
We provide estate planning services to dentists, particularly in connection with important life events. By being well acquainted with each of our clients and their needs, we are able to efficiently advise on these important personal considerations.
We provide active annual services to many dental clients as their outside general counsel, which includes a broad array of day-to-day needs, including related to contract review and negotiation.
Outside General Counsel Services
We provide monthly and annual plans which allow you to call us as if you had an attorney as part of your staff. These flat rate arrangements give you ready access to counsel while maintaining a predictable budget.
We provide services either on an ad hoc basis or through our general counsel plans to advise on regulatory compliance issues regularly encountered by dental professionals, including HIPAA and STARK Laws
Inevitably not all business partners stay business partners. When that happens, we are here to help navigate the complexities of unwinding your relationship while still maintaining your patient base and practice.
About the Firm
Originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan, Phillip Slot practiced law in Los Angeles, California representing some of the largest real estate developers in California. After practicing for a number of years, he returned to his home state of Michigan, practicing real estate law and specializing in representing substance abuse treatment facilities. In 2013, Phillip started his own law firm. Phillip has dedicated his practice to real estate and business transactions with a special focus representing small businesses. Phillip lives in Grand Rapids with his wife and two children. In his spare time he enjoys gardening and mountain biking.
We provide your small business with effective and practical legal solutions with direct access to your attorney because every small business deserves legal advice that is prompt, practical, and solution-oriented.
- Founded Slot Law Group in 2012 and practiced independently for ten (10) years.
- Practiced in Grand Rapids, Michigan with Kreis, Enderle, Hudgins & Borsos, P.C. representing health care facilities and assisting clients with real estate transactions and real estate litigation.
- Practiced in Los Angeles, California representing some of the largest real estate developers in California, and focusing in the areas of business and real estate litigation as well as land use law and environmental compliance, including extensive practice under the California Environmental Quality Act.
- Served as a judicial extern for Chief Judge Robert Bell of the Federal District Court for the Western District of Michigan.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, J.D. (2007)
- Grand Valley State University, B.B.A. cum laude (2003)
- California (formerly)
- Illinois (formerly)
Contact Slot Law Group
77 Monroe Center St NW # 700
Grand Rapids, MI 49503